Sunday, March 25, 2012

a peanut butter day

Tonight, I was on the phone with my mom when I could hear her start to cry.  We had been scheduling a busy evening with my kids tomorrow, so I didn't think it was anything we had talked about.  I asked her if she was okay and she said no, not really.  Really concerned now, I asked what was wrong.  She told me it was just what my grandma used to call a Peanut Butter Day.  It was a day that really didn't make sense, but it was that way anyway.  I had never heard that story before, but I understood the sentiment entirely.  It also made me feel better.  I know she'll be okay, she just needs to slog through the sticky, clingy muck and emerge herself again.  Maybe tomorrow will be a jelly day for her!  Of course, that word doesn't make much sense either...

5 comments:

  1. I've never heard that expression before, either. I need to think about it some more but it's definitely going in my writer's notebook!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've never heard the expression either, but what a great analogy. Some days when the world doesn't make sense we need to just find comfort.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this and how wonderful that your mother could be so vulnerable with you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great description for "one of those days". I haven't heard it, but your word choice to describe it makes me sad at my core: sticky, clingy, muck.... not my favorite kind of day.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Huh...peanut butter day...I like it. It does sort of make sense in a way you can't really explain, right?

    ReplyDelete