Thursday, March 8, 2012

it takes a village

These last few weeks of school have been very inspiring to me.  It's actually the time after school I am referring to.  Monday through Thursday we have a significant amount of our third graders working in very small groups with a teacher in each group working on their reading skills.  Every Tuesday and Thursday, we have a large number of our second graders working with volunteers one on one improving their reading and writing skills.  As I walk tiredly around the school after most of the children leave, I am thrilled to see all the learning continuing.  Yes, I have seen yawns and a few heads laying on arms.  But, mostly I see adults connecting with children and children responding the best they can after an already long day.  I see our community responding to the call of need in a way so strong, we actually had more applicants than paying jobs and enough volunteers we have a waiting list.  I see parents lined up to pick up our weary learners.  Parents who are trusting that our efforts will pay off to their children's benefit. 

I am inspired by this show of effort on everyone's part after school.  I step a little more lively, choose books for the next day a little more carefully, and smile a little more genuinely.  There is a lot to be thankful for in my village.

1 comment:

  1. I am so glad you are noticing this too--it's been something that makes me smile every time I walk through the halls after school.

    ReplyDelete