Saturday, March 24, 2012

Ah, nuts

The squirrels are back in our neighborhood and I love hearing them eat their nuts while I locate them in the trees.  Today, a squirrel was just going at it for what seemed like forever, which is just about how long it took for me to find him.  He was fairly far up, but what made him hard to find was his size.  He was just a tiny critter. I had never seen such a little one, so I paused to watch and listen.  Since I had heard him for so long, I assumed he certainly must be almost finished, but he wasn't.  I watched him for several more minutes, just making a racket and enjoying his nutty nourishment.  As time went by, my mind drifted to pondering how much our children are like this little squirrel.  They may be small, but they often work really hard, even when no one is watching over them.  And, isn't this our goal? So, I went back inside to more closely observe my little home nutcrackers to see if I had been missing some self initiated work they had been doing.  Sometimes, I need to listen a little more closely, speak less often,  and follow along. 

4 comments:

  1. It reminds me of Suburban Safari where the author watches her lawn for a year. Glad you had time to stop and watch.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a wonderful post. I love your thoughts on the little nutcrackers in our lives.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this comparison and that you went in to see what you might have been missing. So much truth in your post.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So true--I've been trying to slow down a little and take notice too. Thanks for the reminder!

    ReplyDelete